Today I turned 40. I thought this would be a good day to launch my blog and reflect on what I have learned over the last 40 years. These are in no particular order, and by no means is it an exhaustive list.
1. Don’t be a jerk – nobody likes a jerk.
2. Read your scriptures every day – it’s not a big deal, but it makes a huge difference. Oh, and don’t forget to pray.
3. Don’t take offense when offense is not intended and when offense is intended, let it go and don’t invite that person to your birthday party.
4. A little bit of really good chocolate is better than a lot of yucky chocolate.
5. There’s a big difference between order and control. The Lord’s house is a house of order. Satan’s house is one of control.
6. If you aren’t willing to say something about a person to them directly, don’t say it to anyone else.
7. Don’t save everything for special occasions. The really special occasions of life are rarely planned, they usually just happen.
8. Do something creative. It doesn’t really matter what. Everyone has a bit of artist in them.
9. Eat your veggies. Your bowels will thank you for it.
10. Say please, thank you, and excuse me.
11. When you’re having an argument decide what’s more important – peace or being right. Sometimes it’s being right, but most of the time, right is just a matter of opinion.
12. Kids watch everything you do and listen to everything you say. I know, my two year old mumbles the word crap under his breath. He doesn’t go to pre-school yet, so there’s no one else to blame.
13. When you’ve done something wrong, acknowledge it and don’t make excuses.
14. Pick your battles carefully.
15. Make sure to say I love you not with just words.